Friday, October 17, 2014

We left John and Donetta Demirjian's home early this morning following John's excellent directions out of town and onto I-10.


At John's suggestion, we stopped at Pancake Alley for breakfast.  Great service, and delicious, filling breakfasts.  Powered us for the next 40 miles of cycling.

The climb out of Las Cruces warmed us up without being exhausting, and then we spent the morning gradually climbing and descending long very gentle grades into a slight headwind.

It was a very pleasant morning of cool temps, surrounded by mountains, watching wildlife, wildflowers, and many passing trains.

Initially the surface of the road shoulders was fantastic, but as we progressed, they degraded, making stops to rest hands, butts, and feet necessary.   At one stop Barb took a photo of these wildflowers growing in a crack in the shoulder.  Not sure if she meant to emphasize the flowers or the crack.  Me, I'm trying to stay on the good side of New Mexico.



Speaking of staying on the good side of New Mexico, I thought I'd been handed a good luck charm of my own, when I found  Craftsman 3/4" wrench along the side of the road, and packed it into a pannier.  But I had another flat late in the day from another wire from a shredded tire. Jerome 9, Barb 0. But at least it was the front tire this time.  Guess I need to keep looking.

We stopped at Akela Flats for lunch. Good home cooking,  at a very reasonable price.  While we lingered over lunch, the headwinds began to pickup,  and we rode much of the last twenty miles into a stiff breeze.

But we persevered, and made it to the Grand Hotel in Deming about 4:30.  Can't say enough nice things about this hotel.  Very reasonably-priced, large clean rooms, and a staff that seems bent on making sure your stay is everything you hoped for.

We're leaving in the morning and heading for Silver City, a 53 mile ride with a gradual elevation gain of 1500 ft.  Hopefully with favorable winds.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jerome:
    My brother lives in Silver City, NM and I grew up in Lordsburg, about 30 miles south of there. Your postings make me feel nostalgic...
    -Sally M

    ReplyDelete