Saturday, September 27, 2014

Starting my post later than normal tonight.  We're in a hotel room in Bastrop TX,  about 30 miles east of Austin.

The day started normally enough.  We were up at 6, and by 7 had packed bags and rolled our bikes over to the Burton Cafe.  We'd heard reports of a fine breakfast to be had.  The German owners didn't disappoint. We each had 2 eggs, homemade sausage, real potato pancakes, and homemade applesauce.   Well, actually I had 3 eggs, but who's counting.  We only regretted not having room for apple strudel, that had been prepared sometime while we were slumbering at the depot.

That's when the day got interesting.  On the way out of town, my bike felt odd, and I looked down to see a sadly low back tire.  One of the patches that I had applied the day before clearly was slowly leaking.   So I pulled the pump out of my panniers,  and topped off the tire, trying to assure myself that the extra pressure might help seal the patch. False hope that I've never seen work before, but that I repeat each time this situation arises.

It didn't work this time either, but by the time that was clear we had other issues.  Semi-annually 10,000 avid shoppers and antique dealers descend on the small Texas town of Round Top (pop 90) for just over two weeks to buy and sell, and look.  Our route took us through the thick of the ensuing traffic snarl on fifteen miles of essentially shoulderless two lane roads.   We stopped momentarily in Round Top to again pump up my tire, and then plugged onot through the traffic.

We finally got past then traffic and reached La Grange where we stopped for a break and to again attend to my tire.  While we were sitting looking at maps, our late-rising, but faster riding companion Jake overtook us again and joined us at our table.

Barb went to look for the ladies room, and was stopped by a local cyclist who wondered where we were heading.  He strongly discouraged us following the twisting back country road Adventure Cycling had routed, and instead suggested we stay on the wide shoulders of Texas SR 71 all the way into Austin.

After the traffic of the morning we decided to heed his advice and were soon back on our way.  Jake was hoping to catch a relative in Austin for a few days and after a few miles together he said farewell and sped off down the road ahead of us.

Barb and I arrived in Bastrop midafternoon, after several more stops to refill my tire and to refuel ourselves.

We took the recommendation of the woman at the hotel desk and had a wonderful dinner at a Mexican restaurant. We've since retired to our room and I repatched my leaking tire.

We'll be heading to Austin tomorrow and will probably spend Monday there as well to rest and take care of bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment